Grant's birth story
**I started writing this post over a year ago but for good reason, I never finished. That reason being having 4 kids. It's been an adventure.**
Grant is likely our last baby.
It has made this whole experience that much sweeter and also that much harder. I am really trying to enjoy and soak in every moment instead of wishing it away OR mourning it's passing before it's gone. I know how fast this time goes and how I will look back on it fondly instead of remembering all the hard. (which actually hasn't been too bad this time around. I thank having two older girls who have been such great helpers.)
I was scheduled to be induced because I was already so dilated(5 cm and 80% effaced) and since it's my fourth baby they are chill about inductions.
Our induction date was scheduled for July 9th and it wasn't one hundred percent sure that we would get in on that date because of all the women ahead of me on the schedule. Luckily, as the day got closer I kept getting bumped up on the list because either they went into labor or cancelled.
So the morning of July 9th at 8:30 am while I was eating cream of wheat, they called!! We were so happy because they said they would call between 9-11 am so it was sooner than we thought.
We got to the hospital and at 10:30 am they started me on pitocin. Shortly after my ob broke my water and we found out that baby was facing the wrong direction(looking at the ceiling instead of the floor). So they had me lay a certain way with a peanut shaped inflatable between my legs in hopes that he turned. I started feeling the contractions pretty strong but they weren't too unbearable yet. At this point I was dilated to a 7 and waiting for the anesthesiologist. While it was tempting to keep going and have a natural birth, I decided to go with what I knew and that was a pain free delivery and labor.
Especially because our friend Ellen was capturing the birth on camera to put it together for a birth video later. Definitely wasn't a good time to see how I did without an epidural. Thank you so much Ellen for the wonderful birth video! I will cherish it forever!
I progressed really quickly after the epidural. Tyler had just left to grab lunch in the cafeteria and I had to call him to come back into the room because the nurse checked me and said I was ready to push.
From the start of the pitocin to the time to push was 3 hours!
Unfortunately, Grant hadn't changed position and was born "sunny side up" or "occiput posterior."
About a third of babies are sunny side up during the first stage of labor but most will flip before birth. About 5-8% of babies stay face up position. Grant was one of the lucky 5-8%. There are risks involved in this and I am glad my ob didn't think a c-section was necessary. From Google:
How might a sunny-side up baby impact labor and delivery?
Rest assured that you can have a safe delivery with a baby in the occiput posterior position. But because this position can make labor more difficult for both you and your baby,[5] your OB may recommend a C-section.
Because a sunny-side up baby’s occipital bone is pressing against your spine and tailbone, the first and second stages of labor may be longer and the likelihood of back labor is greater.[6] Women with sunny-side up babies may be more likely to require labor induction, have longer labors and need delivery assistance (such as forceps or vacuum).
It did cause me to tear more than I might have otherwise(thank you epidural for numbing that pain).
The most amazing part was that my ob asked if I wanted to "catch" him. After a couple of pushes she told me to reach between my legs and pull him out and onto my chest. Because he was already facing towards me I was able to see his face and it was a surreal and special experience I will never forget.
I adored my ob Dr. Mallorie Cracroft.
I am forever grateful that I have it all on video! Here is a link:
Grant Douglas Andersen
7 lbs 2 oz just like his two sisters.
July 9th
19.5 inches long.
at 1:44 pm.
The recovery was so smooth. I really enjoy my hospital stay. We stay as long as we possibly can. I love the one on one time Tyler and I get with each other and our new baby.
My friend Liana got to be one of my nurses during this hospital stay which was so amazing! She told me that she would be working and to request her. So glad it worked out! Grant breastfed pretty good just wasn't great at sucking yet and my Liana helped me with that. Thankfully my milk supply came right in so there were no issues there.
The only sad thing was that thanks to covid is we weren't able to have the girls come meet him in the hospital. But we were able to bring him home on Hayden's birthday so that was special.
A benefit thanks to covid however is that the hospital let Tyler order meals from the cafeteria as well. Normally the hospital only covers the mom but because they wanted to encourage the partners to stay in the hospital room and not venture out they let them be included in the meals as well.
Going home is always bittersweet for me.








Comments
Post a Comment