Can't win 'em all right?

Okay I was going to wait to write about this but since getting home and doing some online research i'm sort of freaking out and need some feedback and advice!! So i've mentioned earlier that i'm doing a study at my nearest hospital called NuMOM2be research study and it's been AWESOME. They just follow me throughout my pregnancy, I get 3 ultrasounds, testing plus compensation. Well today was my last visit before my due date and they were doing the ultrasound, everything looked great, baby measuring mostly perfect for 27 weeks(I say mostly because they said she was 3% under the norm which isn't much to worry about but still. Last ultrasound I had, she was measuring ahead =( Anyways, she wasn't cooperating though when they wanted to try 3D imaging. Her hands were constantly in her face, and she kept moving away from the ultrasound. She was being such a stinker! But we'd been super lucky with her cooperating so well for the gender revealing ultrasound so can't really complain. It was still a let down though..but nothing compared to what was discovered next. They did a cervical ultrasound and discovered my cervix is short. 
They want your cervix at 3cm at least. Mine is 1.7 cm.
Umm what??
So I am at high risk for preterm labor.
Say what???
This was upsetting to say the least. Everything had been going soo smoothly. Too smoothly maybe? Everything was perfect at my big 20 week ultrasound!
They said they were going to send all the info to my doctor and then my doc will contact me with what they want to do next etc. But that's all they told me! Nothing like what I should be doing in the meantime. Maybe like take it easy, bed rest, no exercising etc. Just to be on the lookout for any contractions/braxton hicks. I haven't been feeling any so far at least not that I know of/have felt. So that's weird.

I'm just a little person! With a little cervix! But I want a healthy baby so I am distraught..
Like I said I just got home and started doing research online/baby books and it seems that every story or article I come across says that they were put on strict bed rest, gotten steroid shots, or had a cerclage{cervical stitch to keep it form prematurely opening} and some with a cervix that is longer than mine{but still under 3cm}. SO i'm left to think that since mine is even shorter, will I or do I need to be on bed rest?? They say anything less than 1.5 is really worrisome. 
Umm i'm only 2 cm over that. 
Ay I just don't know. 
I'm tempted to call my doc tomorrow instead of waiting for them to call me. 
My next appt. is a week from today {march 22} but I have a feeling i'll probably see them before then.
I know though that the percentage of our baby surviving is high{90 percent} if I were to go into labor anytime from here on out, but without any health problems? Not likely. But I shouldn't be such a pessimist.
I am a positive person! But I feel like i've just been thrown through a loop!
I just want a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy!
Lots of prayers please! And thank you =)
Halli Ann's latest portrait.
Not the greatest but you can see her cute little nose and mouth.

Comments

  1. Oh my! Good luck my dear! I just had a friend have her baby early because her cervix was short as well. She was on bedrest for a while. So I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor puts you on bedrest as well. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm just upstairs :) I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctor I work for delivers babies, so I have some experience with this. For your peace of mind, I don't think you should hesitate to call your doctor in the morning. Don't ever feel like you are "bothering" them or anything! The sooner you get more information, the better! I hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to echo what the two previous comments said! We are just a few doors down if you end up being on bedrest we can come and visit and give you company! Also, call your doctor! There's no reason to worry for longer than you have to- call them in the morning! Hope you get some (relatively) good news! We'll all be on pins and needles till then! Prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, my nursing advice is to NOT exercise and take it easy. I'm sure they'll probably do the circlage and bed rest if those results are accurate. While you're right about baby surviving, we want at LEAST 35 weeks, 37 is best so hold that baby in girlfriend! Also, call your doctor tomorrow before you freak out. I don't know anything about this study but I know they're not your OB. He/She will know whats best for you. Sleep good, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call in the morning! That's why you pay e doctor the big bucks... So he's constantly at your beck and call! I'm sorry you are going through this, but to look at the bright side, at least you won't be at 42 weeks waiting around hugely uncomfortable with no baby in sight! (ok, I know it's a stretch. Just trying to cheer you up :) ) good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, we'll be praying for you and Halli Ann and Tyler! If you end up doing bed rest, let us all help. We want you and this baby to be safe and healthy, and we're glad to be at your service, whatever you need. Say the word. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good comments and advice from the previous gals. Always be prayerful and do what you feel is best. It is always hard to hear anything is off when you are pregnant with you or your baby. Plus you are in a heightened emotional state which makes everything seem even more intense. (This knowledge isn't to invalidate your feelings, just a reminder to try to step back a bit and reach out to friends for extra support.) Get a priesthood blessing. Don't hesitate to call your doctor. Take it easy. Think big cervix thoughts. :) Be careful about doing research on the internet as all is not factual. I love you, you sweet woman. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously I'm not a nurse and I haven't had a baby yet but I would definitely call your doctor just for peace of mind. Doctors have a way of making things seem much better and keeping you as worry free as possible. Prayers are coming your way! Keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no advice, but you will be in our prayers! And keep in mind that I'm great at running errands or keeping company if you to get stuck in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with what others said. Call your doc and he'll most likely put you on bedrest. As someone who has gone through bedrest, it's not super fun but you do what you gotta do to keep your baby in there! I wish I had pinterest when I was on bedrest :) that's the bright side! haha. You will make it!!! I'll keep you in my prayers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no Annie I'm so sorry to hear that!! Keep me posted on what your doc says and if there is anything I can do! Even if it's just to come over and keep you company :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie you are so strong and we will be thinking of you and praying for you. I had a good friend teach me, "Question everything" especially a doctor. Don't know much about a cervex being too short, but you must educate yourself. Information is powerful. After my first baby and a C section I became very informed. All of my doctors just wanted to take the rest of my babies C section because it was easier for them. Bull. Who is paying who here? Why would a nurse be telling you these things instead of the doctor. So I fought for all of my babies to be delivered vaginally and they were all far healthier than the first. So you keep up the fight and know that you will be led in the things that you should do. That's what I call the Holy Spirit and it will comfort you when no one else can. LOve you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are in my prayers! Make sure you contact your OB!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annie, I'm sure mom has already made sure you don't do anything. Haha. We don't want that baby coming early. It's not worth the risk. Call me when you talk to your OB and your family will take care of you and Ty!! Love you Annie! Lots of food comin your way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, and we will have lot of prayers! I know God is watching closely. Keep Him close to your decisions. Grandpa Andersen is keeping an eye out I'm sure. Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'm so sorry, Annie! :( That IS disheartening to hear. I feel ya, because my doc said I was measuring on the shorter side of things, too... bah! I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers -- I'm sure everything will be okay for you and your baby girl, and that she'll make her debut at the perfect time. Keep smiling!! XO!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts