Labor Day Weekend: Sand Hollow, Zion's National Park, and the hike of death.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
We spent labor day weekend in St. George this year with our high school bunch of friends and it was so fun!

Halli got some quality time with her grandmas for four days while we adventured in Southern Utah. We camped in an RV campground{we all camped in tents but it was nice to have showers, electricity/water hook ups and bathrooms around! My kind of camping!} next to Sand Hollow Reservoir and enjoyed boating, surfing, wave running, cliff jumping and hanging out at the beaches there.
the cliff jumping and surfing I hardly took part of. Freaks me out to jump into the unknown.




Tyler surfin' it up.




We also decided to check out Zion's National Park which was gorgeous! When we got there everyone{except me} wanted to hike Angel's Landing. Now that it's all said and done, I am glad I did this hike. But it wasn't my first choice! It was physically one of the hardest things i've ever done. I didn't know we were going to hike Angel's Landing ahead of time or I might've tried to prep my body. But nope, I went from little walks around the block with The Hallinator to climbing a freaking mountain! 5 miles roundtrip!
Everyone kept telling me the view was to die for. Pretty fitting actually since I read a sign while hiking up that said since 2004, there have been six fatalities doing this hike. And I also felt like I was going to die myself after just five minutes! Tyler had to push and pull me almost the whole way. The last half mile you are basically rock climbing with only a chain to hold onto or fall 1000's of feet to your death...sorry mom.
This part is where you stop if you don't want to risk your life...



See those tiny little specs of people climbing that "spine" of a mountain?? Yea that's what is required of you if you want to get to the top. My desire{which wasn't very deep} to reach the top was faltering at this point. Peer pressure is a strong thing and it got me through.



Okay the view actually is breathtaking. So I took some pictures to remember it because you won't find me on that mountain again anytime soon. In fact probably never.

 standing at the top! A mere 5790 ft above the rest of the world!

           




 Alvin wasn't afraid to come check out our goods.


 there were two sides to take pictures of.



We're missing Jeff and Ally and Heidi and Zach who stayed at camp because they brought their dogs and weren't feeling well. 
Liz, Ellen, me and Nicole =)

Tom, me and Ty, Nicole and Spencer, Ellen and Russ, Liz and Log(an).
Check out Liz's blog. They are amazing for what they've been through!!





 The hike down was pretty scary too but not as scary as going up was. The hard part of going down was possibly going too fast and losing control. Thankfully that didn't happen. Haha.

 Ahh the switch backs. This part was the last little stretch before you got to the climbing portion. It was almost my defeat.
 The hike never seemed to end coming back down. Poor Tyler did a whole lot of waiting for his slow poke, out of breath wife. Not only because well as i've said many a time, I am out of shape, but I also like to take pictures! =)
 It really was a gorgeous hike though. Just hard to enjoy for someone not in good shape!


It took us about 4 hours to complete. Biggest work out of my life. It was an awesome feeling getting to the top and then the bottom being able to say I did it. But my body sure hated me afterwards for days.

All in all it was a great weekend and a nice final hoorah to summer. 

Comments

  1. Annie, you did great! We had so much fun and can't wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously feel a little terrified reading about that hike and seeing the chain of death (as I'll call it.) No thank you. Good job though. I bet it feels great to say you did it, because I'm not sure I ever will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts